Friday, September 11

Flag Football

Karl is back to coaching in the West Lafayette Flag Football league with his friend (and soon to be our pediatrician) Chester Ho. This is their third year together in the league and he is back to having kindergarten through 2nd graders. They have always coached the age group that Dr. Ho's son was in so the first year they did k-2, then last year 3rd-5th but now that Charlie is big enough to play tackle they decided that the little ones were much more fun. The team has had two practices and last night was their second game. It's so entertaining to watch! As someone that started coaching and teaching little kids when I was 13, its really fun to watch from the sides and see how little boys deal with grown up men as coaches. It's a very different dynamic and more like watching a circus than a football game but the kids are just so funny that you cant help but laugh when you watch. There are some that are really good and you can tell they have older siblings or parents that are very involved with their athletic development, some that have never touched a ball or seen football in their life but are interested in running around, and some that have no interest and are just there to pull grass and do handstands on the field. I know a few of the kids on the team since I work with their dads but most of them are new. A few good quotes from yesterday:
Dad to son Henry while Karl was explaining what to do in the huddle: "Henry, pay attention!" Henry, who is no where near the huddle: " Dad, I don't have to. He's not talking to me!"
Quinn, from the sideline to another kid on the team that wasn't paying attention while on offense: "Quit messing around, this isn't a dance floor!"

Karl is still very competitive and draws up all kinds of plays for the kids but he's pretty patient and enjoys teaching them the basics too. Every once in a while he forgets they are only 5 and guns a ball at them or forgets to tell a kid he had a nice run even when it was 40 yards in the wrong direction, but its a learning experience for him too! I love watching from the sidelines and cant wait until I'm not just the supportive coaches wife but a parent too. Here are a few pictures I took with my phone yesterday: Karl giving the play to the offense in the huddle and Karl putting the kids in place ready to surprise the defense.

No comments: