Allyson Jeanne was born at 12:55am on Wednesday, September 30, 2009. I began to feel contractions every hour or so starting on Sunday evening and after the long weekend of events, I was super tired and didn't go in to work on Monday. I stayed home and slept most of the day- a few contractions here and there but nothing really consistent or measurable. We went to Scotty's for dinner and came back home and laid around some more just watching football. At about 12:30 I felt a few strong enough to make me look at the clock and take notice so I started paying closer attention and they were getting closer and definitely stronger. By 4 am I was having a hard time laying in bed so I started moving around and semi-freaking out. I woke Karl up and told him I was pretty sure this was it and was going to call when they doctor had said, 5 minutes apart for an hour which by this point meant just waiting the hour. I called a little after 5am and they told us to come in to the hospital and get checked in. Karl and I showered, finished up the bag, fed the dog and headed in. I was set up in a room by 6:15 and was having contractions about every 2-3 minutes. Not a whole lot of progress but we knew it was real and going to happen today (or we thought).
Everything was pretty consistent and moving along and I asked for the epidural once Dr. Penman, my favorite of the three docs, said he was going to break my water. I knew the contractions would come faster and harder then so I got the epidural at 11:30 and he broke my water by 12:30. I was feeling great then! My mom arrived shortly after and thought I already had the baby because I looked so relaxed. Karl was in and out as were his parents and my mom, staring at me laying in a bed really could not have been very exciting but at around 5 I started to feel the contractions. Not only did the epi somehow come out but we learned that baby was turned sideways and causing back labor. I thought I was going to die for a few hours until they were able to get the epi redone, also not fun at all but way better than the back labor that drove me to tears so I'm not going to complain. By this point, I was stuck at 6-7cm and Dr. Penman thought she would have already been here by this time. The hospital was really busy with lots of c-sections and deliveries so at 10:30pm he decided to try some pitocin to see if that would help and if she would turn on her own. An hour later- nothing and still not quite right so we decided together that a c-section would be best. The decision was made at around 11:15 and by 12:15 I was on my way. Karl's parents and my mom waited in the waiting room and I was wheeled off to surgery. It wasn't an emergency so it was actually relaxed and very upbeat with all the nurses and doctors giving their last guesses on gender and weight before they started. We now for sure knew she wasn't sharing a birthday with grandma Sharon anymore but with great grandma Marilyn and when they got her out, it was so exciting to hear everyone tell us it was a girl! Karl was able to go with her right away and take all the good pictures while I froze to death and got stitched up. I was alert and kept informed of what was going on at all times, it was all very surreal and exciting. She checked out perfectly and didn't really fuss or cry too much at all. We had a few names chosen and when she was all wrapped up we asked her which she liked, happily squawking at Allyson so that's what stuck. We wanted an original first name but the middle name to be a family name so Jeanne comes from Karl's grandma Jeanne Leffler. She and Karl went to meet the family while I went into recovery and we met up in a new room about an hour later. Ally was so happy and wide awake so we took some more photos and finally put her to rest in the nursery at about 5:30am. It was a very, very long day but so worth it!


No comments:
Post a Comment