While we were in Oshkosh, Ally celebrated her two month birthday. She has really changed a lot since week 6 and seems noticeably bigger in size, more expressive and much more talkative. She can hold her head up very well when sitting and is still working to push herself up with her hands when she is on her tummy. She makes all kinds of noises and even smiles at you when she is happy or you do something she likes. She has her two month check-up and gets her first round of shots tomorrow so I will have her stats to report then. Here are some of the things that I have learned in the first two months of her life (in no particular order):
- No two brands of diapers and wipes are the same. Newborn huggies are bigger than newborn pampers and huggies wipes are terrible! We just graduated to size 1 diapers last week and our current favorite is Pampers.
- Ally hates to have a wet diaper. If she seems to start crying for no reason, its a safe bet that she is in need of a new diaper. On the same subject- don't jump the gun or she will pee mid change then you have to start all over and include a change of clothes.
- The swing is awesome! She is now starting to enjoy it so I don't feel bad putting her in it so I can get some things done. Sometimes she falls asleep but most of the time she just looks at things.
- Managing a dog and a baby is not easy, I don't know how people with multiple kids handle it if I can barely get the dog outside while Ally is awake.
- Having family around is priceless. Its hard not being near my family all the time but its awesome to see everyone interact with Ally when we do get to see them. Even with Karl's parents in town we don't see them that much so the time she does spend with everyone is even more special. She is a lucky girl!
- I enjoy being home with Ally during the day but I miss work. Not actually doing work but I really miss being in the loop and going to events.
- Driving with a screaming child in the back stresses me out, I hate it but hopefully I get over it because there is usually nothing I can do about it.
- Taking a shower is one of the highlights of my day. I have always used showers as my "thinking time" but now it really is my only time to myself so I like it even more. There is no way I could survive without a daily shower.
- Its hard to love a new baby, a dog and a husband equally- someone is always feeling left out or attention deprived. Its a work in progress to ensure that Karl and I aren't always the last ones to have their needs met.
- Nursing is a much harder undertaking than I ever expected but I am proud of myself for sticking it out and continuing to improve every week. Seems like any idiot can do it but that is not true!
- Baby girl clothes are so cute and even though we usually aren't going anywhere where anyone will see what she has on, I still feel the need to think carefully about what she is going to wear each day. I know it won't last long and I know she doesn't care but I try to switch up colors and styles each day.
- Sleep sacks are a great invention as is the bundle me for the car seat. A warm baby is a happy baby.
- I can run on much less sleep than I ever thought possible and I can now fall asleep instantly anywhere/anytime.
Here are some of my favorite photos from month two with Allyson:


2 comments:
Hi, I am a classmate of Karl's from WL... We met at the class reunion and I glance at your blog on occasion. Just wanted to say I think it is great that you are still nursing. I have been for 6.5 months. I remember some really hard times... Moments of "GET OUT THE FORMULA, I'M DONE!" It IS harder than people tell you. It gets so easy, though, and I'm so glad that you are sticking with it!!
~Lauren Klemme
Way to go - nursing for 2 months! nursing is hard - but such a gift to Ally. It will be much easier with the second. I made the lactation nurse laugh out loud when I told her nursing with Pete was going great b/c "One of us knew what we were doing".
BTW - don't let people tell you what the baby wears doesn't matter. It does, I figure if I like to look pulled together and nice it is important for the baby.
:) Mere
Post a Comment