Monday, September 10

Rewind: Trip to Nationals

Ally and Whittney, Miss Majorette of America 2011

 Now that Ally is more interested and can pay attention, I decided to take her to baton twirling nationals at the end of July.  She went when she was just a baby and we weren't able to make it last year.  We just went to watch the "Big Show" which included the main competitions, all the team winners and Whittney's farewell performance as Miss Majorette of America.  I knew that this was a year that I could not miss and I thought taking Ally with me would be fun.  She was cooperative for the most part and really loved watching the big girls.  She has an amazing memory so hearing her talk about it after the fact is actually more fun than while we were actually there. (Although it pains daddy to hear her get so excited talking about Notre Dame.)  She got to see some kids close to her age out on the floor competing and she really liked watching this little boy who's mom put him out there at just 4 years old in a rhinestoned Darth Vader shirt. Crazy! Ally was completely mesmerized by Whittney and constantly wanted to know where she was and what she was doing.  She loved watching girls get their hair done before the awards and was quick to critique every dress and costume she saw.  She danced to every song in the stands and loved running around with some of the other girls.  It really is a lot of fun to go back and see everyone I used to twirl with or complete against with their kids now, especially with so many of them having little girls.  I received endless compliments about Ally's looks and behavior and lots of questions about when she will be out on the floor.  Now that college football season has started, Ally wants to know where the twirlers are and when she can see them.

I am so proud of Whittney and the wonderful role model she has become.  I spent a lot of time with her when she was little, making her practice or taking her around at competitions to do her solos.  She used to come up with some crazy excuses to get out of practicing but you see just how much all that hard work has paid off for her now as the Iowa Golden Girl.  She gets compared to her sister a lot and always has, but those that really know her can see she is a completely different person and made a name for herself in twirling in her own way.  Her farewell brought tears to all of our eyes and it was an amazing performance.  Nicky, Laura, Anna and I went to Soldier Field last weekend to see her in action in her first college game and Karl, Ally and I will be there when Purdue plays at Iowa. Its been so fun to watch the girls grow up and to have them in the Big Ten where we can see them often. For now Ally looks up to them and wants to do the same things they do so we will start slow and see how it goes.

Watching and dancing along to the music
A reunion of sorts: Jenny, Anna, Laura, Andrea, me
With the future champions: DrewAnn, Hailey, Rayna and Allyson
Whittney taking the floor for her farewell performance

No comments: