Monday, January 26

We Have A Winner


Indiana got its first Miss America on Saturday! Katie Stam won Miss Indiana hands down in June and we all knew she would be a great representative at Miss America. After watching the TLC reality show leading up to the pageant, it became even more clear that she was a big favorite. She took the preliminary swimsuit title in her first appearance on stage Tuesday but then was really sick with a throat infection most of the week... not a good idea if singing is your talent. Indiana sent a big support crew to Vegas for the pageant and all of the reports coming back were great. On Saturday night, we went to the Roast and Toast of Coach Tiller so I set the DRV to record the show in case we didn't get back in time. Good thing I did, the roast went over four hours and I didn't get home until after 11. I was careful to turn off my phones so I would get any spoiler calls or messages. Apparently not careful enough because as we were rushing out of the event I turned on my phone and up popped the message from the Indiana crew that we had won! I was so excited but so disappointed at the same time... I hate knowing who wins before I get to watch! I rushed home and watched the pageant, fast forwarding through the boring talking and commercials. Katie looked amazing and really was the most consistent competitor. Im not crazy about the new format of the pageant, especially the 90 second talents but it is what it is and we have to deal with it. The top 7 were a really tough group so had I not already known who won, I probably would have been really nervous. Katie's reaction was classic, so surprised and excited. I can only imagine what the Miss Indiana directors were doing at that same moment. Since Ive been involved with Miss Indiana, we have continued to grow and improve the program. First runner up last year and now a Miss America is really exciting! Everyone is busy making plans for a big welcome home party in a few weeks and it will be fun to hear about her experiences as Miss America when she comes back to crown the next Miss Indiana in June. Katie is very deserving of this title and I am happy to say that I know her! Now to find new entertainment for Miss Purdue... as Miss America she doesn't get to travel around Indiana and visit all of the locals so I need to find a plan B fast.

No comments: