Monday, August 25
Christmas in August
Karl is like a kid on Christmas when it comes time for our fantasy football draft. Fantasy sports are a hobby that he takes very seriously and he loves setting up our league and trash talking all of the participants. While he has different teams through various websites, the yahoo league we have has to be his favorite. He knows who he is playing against and there is glory to be had when you win. I was the only female in the league for a few years (and I won the inaugural season) but a few others have given it a try. Tonight was our draft so Karl has been reading up on prospects for a while now, plotting how he can take out the rest of us with his team management skills. I decided to go to the gym after work but since I left work late, it was after 7 before I even got home. Dinner was ready and on the table so we could be ready to go by 7:45 when the draft started. Karl was pick one and I was two so he had already logged himself in on the office desktop and me in on the laptop before I even got home. Our five minute dinner discussion was all strategy talk, me looking over notes and him making some final decisions. As we are sitting there only talking about football, I say out loud "man, what would happen to us if I hated sports?" Without even a second thought he replies "we wouldn't be married, obviously." I feel good about my sports knowledge, I know my fair share of useless statistics and trivia and of course I care about all sports Wisconsin (except maybe the Bucks, even they cant make me enjoy the NBA). Once the draft starts I take my spot in the chair with the laptop and Karl makes his home base in the office. For the next 30 minutes the only conversation includes - who you gonna take next, do you want this guy, do you care if I take this guy, are you going to pick, etc... We normally don't have picks next to each other so at least we decided to be considerate and ask before we took someone off the board..... a few times. Now its over and all we can do is take it game by game and hope for the best. Its serious business in this house and may the best (wo)man win!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment