Sunday, August 17

Indiana State Fair

Friday was Purdue Day at the Indiana State Fair, not particularly a day I look forward to. First of all, I'm not really the fair-going type and second, it usually means a very long day of trying to push Purdue Athletics to a whole lot of people that don't care and cant afford tickets if they did care. Indianapolis is not a very pro-Purdue city and every person at the fair seems to be a crazed IU fan and loves to tell us about it. Why we do this every year, I'm not quite sure but we do. This year Purdue day was on a Friday and went from 10am until 10pm. We were able to talk some other areas of the department into splitting into shifts so I only had to be there for six of the twelve hours. In those six hours, I was able to make some mental notes about the State Fair that I wanted to share. Here are my top observations from my day at the fair:
  • Little girls walk baby goats on leashes, not puppies
  • Fried everything you could ever want (or not want)- chicken, beef, pork, cheese, mushrooms, oreos, twinkies, snickers, pepsi....
  • Amazing mullets (both he and she) and rat-tails
  • Inappropriately affectionate teenagers
  • Large folks in tiny clothes

It should also be noted that the Indiana State Fair does not serve alcohol of any kind. In my first trip to the fair 3 years ago, this was a total shock to me coming from Wisconsin so I don't know how these people can handle more than one day of this. Needless to say, I'm happy that Purdue Day is only one day! If you love a good fair..... don't take this personally.

1 comment:

The Browands said...

We went to the Washington State Fair for the first time last year and were SO surprised at the differences from Indiana fairs. Most people were adequately dressed, I only saw ONE mullet, and it was incredibly clean with very interesting exhibits. We saw lots of goats, but none on leashes. There was still a large variety of fried foods (no fried desserts) but a crazy local fascination with scones, still haven't figured that one out.