Monday, July 28

Nationals 2008

Last week I was able to make a trip up to South Bend for baton twirling nationals. This was my 17th trip to AYOP (America's Youth on Parade) and every year it has been held at Notre Dame. Its really nice only being two hours away! Its hard to describe all of the thoughts and feelings that this competition brings about because its been such a big part of my life for so many years. I stopped competing with my dance studio from home following my sophomore year in college but I have made it back every year since then to cheer them on, visit with friends, volunteer my time with judges and look for potential Purdue twirlers. People that only know me from Purdue probably have little to no idea what real twirling looks like and how much time I put in and awards I received well before I was the Purdue Golden Girl. Its hard to imagine what my life would be like if my grandma had never taken me to the dance studio when I was two years old. Baton twirling has given me so much, and thats not even the awards and titles I have won on my own and as part of a team. I am sure my dad would say that I would have been an all star at something else (considering I also played softball, volleyball and basketball most of my life but never committed to those as much as I did to baton and dance) but who knows. Twirling gave me the best friends I could have ever asked for, performance opportunities around the US, the confidence to compete in pageants, leadership and teaching abilities, and led me to Purdue- something I both loved and hated at times. Being at nationals with my friends led to a lot of reminiscing about both good times and bad, happy and sad tears, politics and of course drama! I am so happy that I was a part of such an amazing team and that I never gave up, even when I wanted to quit. My parents never pushed me, quite the opposite actually- twirling is an expensive sport and required a lot from my parents and other family members too. I still have two plus shelves of trophies at home, boxes of medals and ribbons, newspaper clippings, pictures and so many crazy memories. From my first win at nationals at age 8 to my last win at age 20, and competing again in 2004 with the Purdue twirlers, I still look forward to this week every year. I don't know that I will be taking my kids there some day but I always hope to be involved. Its so exciting to see the little girls I taught at the studio when they were 3 or 4, grow up to be great twirlers and be part of their first winning team. Congratulations to the girls on two awesome wins and their upcoming trip to Belgium to represent the US at the world championships. Thanks to Laura and Leah for a fun few days of memories and Carrie and Nicky- it just wasn't the same without you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was fun spending a few days with you Erin....its just been too long!! Hopefully we can get together again soon:)

Miss you!
Laura